- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Ca2+buffering as a mechanism of short-term synaptic plasticity
© Matveev; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2013
- Published: 8 July 2013
- Synaptic Transmission
- Buffer Reaction
- Deep Insight
- Endocrine Cell
- Cell Process
We explore this phenomenon in detail, demonstrating the dependence of such buffer-induced short-term synaptic plasticity on all relevant buffering parameters. These results may lead to better understanding of post-synaptic Ca2+ dynamics as well, yielding a deeper insight into synaptic transmission and its dynamic regulation, and may also have relevance for Ca2+-dependent processes in other cells such as endocrine cells, myocytes and immune system cells.
This work was supported in part by NSF grant DMS-0817703.
- Saftenku EE: Effects of Calretinin on Ca2+ Signals in Cerebellar Granule Cells: Implications of Cooperative Ca2+ Binding. Cerebellum. 2011, 11 (1): 102-120.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Schwaller B: The continuing disappearance of "pure" Ca2+ buffers. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009, 66 (2): 275-300. 10.1007/s00018-008-8564-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Faas GC, Schwaller B, Vergara JL, Mody I: Resolving the fast kinetics of cooperative binding: Ca2+ buffering by calretinin. PLoS Biol. 2007, 5 (11): e311-10.1371/journal.pbio.0050311.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Faas GC, Raghavachari S, Lisman JE, Mody I: Calmodulin as a direct detector of Ca2+ signals. Nat Neurosci. 2011, 14 (3): 301-304. 10.1038/nn.2746.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kubota Y, Waxham MN: Lobe specific Ca2+-calmodulin nano-domain in neuronal spines: a single molecule level analysis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010, 6 (11): e1000987-10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000987.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Burnashev N, Rozov A: Presynaptic Ca2+ dynamics, Ca2+ buffers and synaptic efficacy. Cell Calcium. 2005, 37 (5): 489-495. 10.1016/j.ceca.2005.01.003.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Matveev V, Zucker RS, Sherman A: Facilitation through buffer saturation: constraints on endogenous buffering properties. Biophys J. 1993, 86: 2691-2701.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.