- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Computational modelling of micro-seizures and focal seizure onset
© Wang et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2013
- Published: 8 July 2013
- Spatial Scale
- Computational Model
- Control Patient
- Local Activity
- Seizure Activity
Pathological micro-domains have been proposed to underpin the generation of local pathological activity, as seen in focal seizures in the epileptic cortex [1–3]. Specifically, so-called micro-seizures have been suggested to be markers for these micro-domains [2, 3]. Astonishingly, micro-seizures have also been observed in non-epileptic control patients . This suggests that local activity, such as micro-seizures, only become pathological when in a specific arrangement.
We hypothesize that pathological dynamics could be due to an increased density of micro-domains. To test this, we introduce a computational model on the mesoscopic scale of a 5 × 5 mm2 cortical sheet . The units are modelled as excitable minicolumns. This model also incorporates realistic connectivity schemes observed at this spatial scale .
- Bragin A, Wilson CL, Engel J: Chronic epileptogenesis requires development of a network of pathologically interconnected neuron clusters: a hypothesis. Epilepsia. 2000, 41: 144-152. 10.1111/j.1528-1157.2000.tb01573.x.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Schevon CA, Ng SK, Cappell J, Goodman RR, McKhann G, Waziri A, Branner A, Sosunov A, Schroeder CE, Emerson RG: Microphysiology of Epileptiform Activity in Human Neocortex. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2008, 25: 321-330. 10.1097/WNP.0b013e31818e8010.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stead M, Bower M, Brinkmann BH, Lee K, Marsh WR, Meyer FB, Litt B, Van Gompel J, Worrell GA: Microseizures and the spatiotemporal scales of human partial epilepsy. Brain. 2010, 133: 2789-2797. 10.1093/brain/awq190.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang Y, Goodfellow M, Taylor PN, Gary DJ, Baier G: Computational Modelling of Microseizures and Focal Seizure Onset. Proceedings of IWSP5. Edited by: K. Lehnertz, R. Tetzlaff, C. Elger. 2013, World ScientificGoogle Scholar
- Voges N, Schüz A, Aertsen A, Rotter S: A modeler's view on the spatial structure of intrinsic horizontal connectivity in the neocortex. Prog Neurobiol. 2010, 92: 277-292. 10.1016/j.pneurobio.2010.05.001.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang Y, Goodfellow M, Taylor P, Garry D, Baier G: Computational modelling of microseizures and focal seizure onset. International Seizure prediction workshop proceedings. Dresden 2011 (to appear)Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.