- Poster Presentation
- Open Access
Seven-hour multiunit recordings from rats reveal very long-term correlation in the cortical activity
© Câteau et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2010
- Published: 20 July 2010
- Stock Price
- Neuronal Network
- Interspike Interval
- Price Fluctuation
- Multiscale Analysis
In the present study, we investigate how history of activity is retained in neurons embedded in the intact brain. For this purpose, we employ the so-called multiscale analysis for the fluctuations of interspike intervals (ISIs). An ability of neuronal networks, but not of isolated neurons, to retain information at different time scales greatly enriches their computational ability because now they can access the information across the full space-time domain, rather than spatially but at a single temporal scale.
We analyze the intact brain of rats without anesthesia using a special chamber, namely the neural activity of the normally working brain. Recorded data with multiunit electrodes reveal evidence for the long-term in neuronal activity. We apply multiscale analysis because it has been proven to be powerful to uncover multiple time scales in hydrodynamic turbulence , human heartbeat interval fluctuations [3, 4], stock price fluctuations , etc.
- Isomura Y, Harukuni R, Takekawa T, Aizawa H, Fukai T: Microcircuitry coordination of cortical motor information in self-initiation of voluntary movements. Nature Neuroscience. 2009, 12: 1586-1593. 10.1038/nn.2431.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ghil M, Benzi R, Parisi G: Turbulence and predictability in geophysical fluid dynamics and climate dynamics. 1985, North-HollandGoogle Scholar
- Kiyono K, Struzik ZR, Aoyagi N, Sakata S, Hayano J: Critical scale invariance in a healthy human heart rate. Phys Rev Lett. 2004, 93: 178103-10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.178103.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kiyono K, Struzik ZR, Aoyagi N, Togo F, Yamamoto Y: Phase transition in a healthy human heart rate. Phys Rev Lett. 2005, 95: 058101-10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.058101.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kiyono K, Struzik ZR, Yamamoto Y: Criticality and phase transition in stock-price fluctuations. Phys Rev Lett. 2006, 96: 068701-10.1103/PhysRevLett.96.068701.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.