Volume 8 Supplement 2
Scaling, stability and synchronization in mouse-sized (and larger) cortical simulations
© Ananthanarayanan and Modha; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2007
Published: 6 July 2007
Together, the two hemispheres of the mouse cortex contain, 16 × 106 neurons and 8,000 synapses per neuron. We have recently developed a massively parallel cortical simulator  that incorporates relatively simpler single compartment spiking neurons , spike-timing dependent plasticity (STDP) , and axonal delays.
We created a mouse-scale network by using 32,768 "groups" (80% excitatory) each with 500 neurons such that each group connects to 100 randomly selected groups and each neuron from the projecting group makes a total of c = 80 synapses with the neurons of the receptive group. Excitatory groups had axonal delays uniformly ranging from 1–20 ms, and inhibitory groups had a fixed delay of 1 ms. All simulations used a 1 ms time step. Using a BlueGene/L with 8,192 processors, with 4 TB of memory, using a super-threshold stimulus delivered to every neuron at 4 Hz, we were able to simulate 5 s of model time in 168 s of real-time at a mean firing rate of 4.95 Hz (in stable mode). To further push the boundaries of scaling, by using c = 160 above, we created a network with 16,384,000 neurons and 16,000 synapses per neuron. Using 16,384 processors and 8 TB of memory, using a 5 Hz stimulation, we were able to achieve 5 s of model time in 265 s of real-time at a mean firing rate of 5 Hz (in stable mode).
- Frye J, Ananthanarayanan R, Modha DS: Towards real-time, mouse-scale cortical simulations. 2007, CoSyNe: Computational and Systems Neuroscience, Salt Lake City, UtahGoogle Scholar
- Izhikevich EM, Gally JA, Edelman GM: Spike-timing dynamics of neuronal groups. Cerebral Cortex. 2004, 14: 933-944. 10.1093/cercor/bhh053.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Markram H, Lubke J, Frotscher M, Sakmann B: Regulation of synaptic efficacy by coincidence of postsynaptic APs and EPSPs. Science. 1997, 275: 213-215. 10.1126/science.275.5297.213.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Abeles M: Corticonics: Neural Circuits of the Cerebral Cortex. 1991, Cambridge University PressView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vogels TP, Rajan K, Abbott LF: Neural network dynamics. Ann Rev Neurosci. 2005, 28: 357-376. 10.1146/annurev.neuro.28.061604.135637.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.